Global Foreign Direct Investment into Ethiopia (1992-2017) by Asoko Insight


Asoko has compiled and analyzed foreign direct investment (FDI) data from the Ethiopian Investment Commission (EIC), recording all FDI projects and participants between January 1992, when the data was first recorded, and May 2017.

Please refer to the following definitions when reviewing the FDI map:

  • FDI participants: the number of participating

entities involved in any recorded FDI project.

– Total FDI participants = 5,890

  • FDI projects: the number of unique FDI


– Total FDI projects = 5,233

The top ten most participant countries are

as follows:

  1. China
  2. India
  3. USA
  4. Sudan
  5. United Kingdom
  6. Saudi Arabia
  7. Turkey
  8. The Netherlands
  9. Italy
  10. Canada

Outside of the top ten, another 96 countries invested over the period, representing 32% of total investor participation. Of the 5,233 FDI projects, 70% were classified as ‘wholly foreign, while the remaining 30% consisted of transactions with one or more foreign investors collaborating with a local Ethiopian entity. According to World Bank data, the value of FDI net inflows increased from US$170,000 in 1992 to US$4 billion by 2016.

Read More

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.