Yesterday the 2017 All Africa Music Awards (AFRIMA), took place in Lagos, Nigeria. In attendance were African celebrities from music, film, fashion, media and other fields.
The night’s big winner was Wizkid. The Nigerian took two of the most important awards—Artist of the Year and Song of the Year—along with the Best Male West Africa award. Tiwa Savage won the female equivalent of the award.
Morocco took both the male and female categories in the Northern Africa categories. South Africa did same for the southern categories, Emtee and Thandiswa coming out tops. Emtee’s win came at the expense of other popular South African artists including the veteran Hugh Masekela.
In East Africa, Tanzania and Ethiopia shared the honors, Nandy emerging triumphant in the female category and Henoka and Mehari Brothers winning the Male category. Salif Keita and Oliver Mtukudzi received the African Legend Award.
Wizkid’s compatriot Simi took the Songwriter of the Year award, which means Nigeria was a major winner in the most prestigious categories. Uganda’s Eddy Kenzo winning Album of the Year stopped the West African country from a complete domination of those categories.
Togolese group Toofan, who put up a high-energy performance at the Eko Hotel Convention Centre venue, took the Best Pop award. The jazz category was won by South Africa’s Nduduzo Makhatini. Full list of winners below:
- Artiste of the Year: Wizkid (Nigeria)
- African Fans Fave: The Dogg (Namibia)
- Album of the Year: Eddy Kenzo – Biology (Uganda)
- Best African Collaboration: Alikiba – ‘Aje’ ft MI Abaga (Tanzania)
- Best African Contemporary: Wande Coal – ‘Iskaba’ ft DJ Tunez (Nigeria)
- Best African Electro: Nsoki – ‘Africa Unite’ ft DJ Maphorisa, Paulo Alves (Angola)
- Best African Group/Duo/Band: Toofan – ‘Tere Tere’ (Togo)
- Best African Hip Hop: Ycee – ‘Juice’ (Nigeria)
- Best African Jazz: Nduduzo Makhatini – ‘Igagu’ (South Africa)
- Best African Pop: Toofan – ‘Tere tere’ (Togo)
- Best African Reggae, Ragga, Dancehall: 2Baba – ‘Holy holy’ (Nigeria)
- Best African RnB and Soul: Alikiba – ‘Aje’ ft MI Abaga (Tanzania)
- Best African Rock: Gilad – ‘Angel Uriel’ ft Omer Millo (Kenya)
- Best African Traditional: Halmelmal Abate – ‘Harar’ (Ethiopia)
- Best Female Inspirational: Asikey – ‘Earth Attack’ (Nigeria)
- Best Male Inspirational: Gilad – ‘Angel Uriel’ ft Omer Millo (Kenya)
- Most Promising Artiste of the Year: Neza – ‘Uranyica’ (Rwanda)
- Song of the Year: Wizkid – ‘Come closer’ (Nigeria)
- Revelation of the African Continent: Shyn – ‘Resim Pitia’ (Madagascar)
- Producer of the Year: DJ Coublon – ‘Yolo Yolo’ by Seyi Shay (Nigeria)
- Songwriter of the Year: Simi – ‘Smile’
- African Legend Award: Salif Keita (Mali) and Oliver ‘Tutu’ Mtukudzi (Zimbabwe)
- Video of the Year: Adasa Cookey – ‘Cooking Pot’ by Orezi
- Central Africa (Best Female): Montess – Love Witta Gun Man (Cameroon)
- Central Africa (Best Male): Locko – Supporter ft Mr Leo (Cameroon)
- East Africa (Best Female): Nandy – One Day (Tanzania)
- East Africa (Best Male): Kenzo –(Kenya)
- Southern Africa (Best Female): Thandiswa – Nontsokolo (South Africa)
- Southern Africa (Best Male): Emtee – We Up (South Africa)
- West Africa (Best Female): Tiwa Savage – All Over (Nigeria)
- West Africa (Best Male): Wizkid – Come Closer ft Drake (Nigeria)
- North Africa (Best Female): Ibitssam Tiskat – Menak Wla Meni (Morocco)
- North Africa (Best Male): Shayfeen – Wach Kayn Wader (Morocco)