The 28th Summit of the Heads of State and Government of the African Union (AU), officially opened at the headquarters of the African Union in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with the theme “Harnessing Demographic Dividend through Investments in Youth.” and a strong call for unity to uphold the maintenance of peace and stability in the continent
– The opening ceremony took place in the presence of the Deputy Chairperson of the AUC, H.E Mr Erastus Mwencha, AUC Commissioners, representatives from the diplomatic corps, the international community, civil society, private sector and invited guests among others.
-H.E. Dr. Dlamini Zuma, in her opening paid special tribute to the Gambian Ambassador to the AU, H.E Mr Mass AxiGye, for the resolute and decisive leadership of ECOWAS and the Peace and Security Council.
– The African Union (AU) Executive Council has emphasised the need for Africa to boost investment in Africa’s youth by promoting transformative and inclusive development agendas aimed at recognising the efforts by the youth in entrepreneurship and innovation.
– Chadian Foreign Minister Hon. Moussa Faki Mahamat has been elected incoming Chairperson of the African Union (AU) Commission by AU heads of State and Government, who form the Assembly of the African Union.
– President Alpha Conde is taking over from H.E. Mr. Idriss Deby Itno, President of the Republic of Chad as the new Chairperson of the African Union for the year 2017.
– Kagame report has suggested that AU members fund the organisation through a 0.2 per cent levy on imports.
– Morocco has been readmitted to the African Union more than three decades after it left when the continental body recognised the independence of the disputed territory of Western Sahara. Hopes that the move could pave the way for peace-building were bolstered after Western Sahara – regarded by Morocco as part of its historic territory – welcomed the readmission.
– Trump has suspended all US refugee programmes and banned immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries, three of which are AU members. The head of the African Union has criticised Donald Trump’s ban on immigration from some Muslim-majority countries, saying it presents “one of the greatest challenges” for the continent. “The very country to which many of our people were taken as slaves during the transatlantic slave trade has now decided to ban refugees from some of our countries,” said Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma.
– Endorsed the African Union Master Roadmap of Practical Steps to Silence the Guns in Africa by year 2020, as a guideline for Africa’s efforts to this end.
New Leadership Elected on 30th Jan 2017
AU Chairperson for 2017: President Alpha Conde – Guinea
1- AUC Chairperson: Mr. Moussa Faki Mahamat – Chad (Central Africa, Male)
2- AUC Deputy Chairperson : Mr. Thomas Kwesi Quartey – Ghana (West Africa, Male)
3- Peace & Security: Mr. Chergi, Smail – Algeria (North Africa)
4-Political Affairs: Mrs. Samate, Cessouma – Burkina-Faso (West Africa, Female)
5- Infrastructure & Energy: Mrs. Abou-Zeid, Amani – Egypt (North Africa, Female)
6- Social Affairs: Mrs. Elfadil, Amira Elfadil Mohammed – Sudan (East Africa, Female)
7- Trade & Industry: Mr. Muchanga, Albert – Zambia (Southern Africa, Male)
8- Rural Economy & Agriculture: Mrs. Sacko, Josefa – Angola (Southern Africa, Female)