The inaugural African Fashion Business Summit which was opened on September 14 was the first of its kind in the continent.
The Africa Fashion Reception platform is being positioned as the largest African Fashion Market. It will link African garment & accessories, producers/manufacturers with international buyers. It will be held twice annually: once in an African country and the other one in Paris, France.
The Africa Fashion Reception will feature designers from over 20 African countries showing a collection each. In attendance will be Ambassadors and high net worth dignitaries from these countries. This African initiative is aimed at creating wealth with gender preference of empowering African rural women through training, capacity building schemes, workshops and setting up of medium and small scale businesses in the various fashion enterprise vocations.
Goals of the Africa Fashion Reception include:
- To build bridges by creating free trade and partnerships among fashion practitioners throughout the African continent
- To attract global attention to Africa’s very rich and diversified dress culture which can be explored as a catalyst for the social economic growth of the continent’s garment/textile industry.
- To expand the potential power of fashion as a tool of fighting poverty in Africa by creating wealth through the empowerment of women and youths in the various fashion vocations through training, capacity building schemes, workshops and setting up of medium/small scale businesses thereby supporting the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals and the African Union Agenda 2063
· To bring about self-reliance as this initiative will create millions of jobs across the continent for Tailors, Creative Directors, Textile designers, Models, Cutters, Pressers, Fashion Photographers & Writers, Hair Stylists, Make-up Artists etc
- To contribute in bringing the much desired peace and stability to our continent by positively engaging the youths as stated above.And to further develop African economies by creating the biggest and most profitable African fashion and lifestyle trade and investment initiative for global patronage .
The Africa Fashion Reception was officially launched in Paris in 2013 with the participation of 16 African countries. The 2nd edition saw participants from 24 countries.
Some of the participating designers representing their countries includes
Lisete Pote – Angola, Paradise Fashion – Ethiopia, Khosi Nkosi Fashion House – South Africa, Chizo – Zambia, David Alford – Zimbabwe, Hall of Peters – Ghana, Alphao Fashion – Guinea, Botocy Clothing – Botswana, Fall Prov – Senegal, Inkanda – Rwanda, Les Peches Mignons – Mali, Kaz ’O’ Zah Art – Burundi, Walove by Design – Kenya, Kokonut Stylist – Swaziland, Yaw’s Creation – Gambia, Classic Fashion Namibia, Keto Couture – Nigeria, FKK Fashion – Togo,De La Sebure-Burkina Faso and Kokonut Stylist Swaziland etc.
The inaugural African Fashion Business Summit which was opened on September 14 was the first of its kind in the continent and discussions were anchored around the theme: ‘Creating Wealth for African Economies through its Fashion, Garment and Textile Industry’.
The summit was followed by the opening of the Exhibition with participants from various African countries.